• Interactive Energy Education in OUR Community •
What is Project ReCharge?
Project ReCharge is a hands-on inquiry and project based Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) curriculum and training program that engages students, teachers and facility staff. This interactive energy education program provides valuable professional development and classroom resources to teachers, who then empower middle school and high school students to become energy detectives focused on saving their school money through energy efficiency proposals. Innovative lessons, energy data and interactive dashboards engage students and teachers as they learn about energy generation, consumption and efficiency.
Project ReCharge focuses on real world learning and application that has measurable impact on students, the environment and the community at large.
Since 2015, the Project ReCharge interactive STEM energy program has:
- Partnered with 22 schools across 5 school districts in Northern Nevada
- Provided 75 teachers with over 3,237 hours of professional development, valuable STEM curriculum and over $122,000 in classroom resources
- Engaged 6,000+ middle school and high school students with hands-on inquiry based lessons and activities focused on energy generation, consumption and efficiency
- Increased student content knowledge by 24% during the 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 academic school year, while also measurably increasing interest in STEM careers
- Driven the implementation of four student LED lighting projects that are reducing Washoe County School District’s energy use by 453 megawatts, saving $48,000 annually, while mitigating the release of 381,000 lbs of CO2 into the atmosphere.
A huge THANK YOU to Washoe County School District for financing these student projects!
Project ReCharge Funders
In December of 2017, The NV Energy Foundation provided Envirolution with a $7,000 grant to help support existing Project ReCharge teachers throughout Northern Nevada. This funding will provide more classroom materials, updated curriculum and ongoing support, allowing these teachers to reach more students with the engaging STEM lessons.
The National Science Foundation provided generous funding of Project ReCharge under Grant DRL-1433597, investing $1.2 million into energy education over 3 years (2014-2017). This grant allowed Project ReCharge to partner with 11 schools, train 47 teachers and reach over 4,500 students.The Nevada Department of Education Math/Science Partnership Grant funded the Northern Nevada Energy Efficiency Teacher Training Initiative (NNEETTI) that supports the expansion of Project ReCharge for the 2017/2018 academic year. This funding
New Teacher Website
- To facilitate the growing number of teachers that are adopting Project ReCharge at their schools, Envirolution has launched a teacher website that gives all teachers past, present and future easy access to all the curriculum, materials, and updates. It gives them the ability to track progress on professional development requirements and lessons and order replacements materials online. This website facilitates the tremendous growth anticipated for Project ReCharge throughout the state and ultimately throughout the nation.