• Interactive Energy Education in OUR Community •
What is Project ReCharge?
Project ReCharge is a hands-on inquiry and project based Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) curriculum and training program that engages students, teachers and facility staff. This interactive energy education program provides valuable professional development and classroom resources to teachers, who then empower middle school and high school students to become energy detectives focused on saving their school money through energy efficiency proposals. Innovative lessons, energy data and interactive dashboards engage students and teachers as they learn about energy generation, consumption and efficiency.
Project ReCharge focuses on real world learning and application that has measurable impact on students, the environment and the community at large.
Since 2015, the Project ReCharge interactive STEM energy program has:
- Partnered with 29 schools across 7 school districts in the Northern Nevada region.
- Provided 87 teachers with over 5,300 hours of professional development, valuable STEM curriculum and over $186,000 in classroom resources
- Engaged 9,000 middle school and high school students with hands-on inquiry based lessons and activities focused on energy generation, consumption and efficiency
- Increased student content knowledge by 33% during the 2016/2017 academic school year, while also measurably increasing interest in STEM careers
- Driven the implementation of seven student LED lighting and sustainability projects that are reducing Washoe County School District’s energy use by 1,400 MWh, saving $174,000 annually, while mitigating the release of 2.2 million lbs of CO2 into the atmosphere.
A huge THANK YOU to Washoe County School District and Climate Action for Schools for financing these student projects!
Tesla Investment in Project ReCharge!!
Tesla has made an initial investment of $262,700 to Envirolution for Project ReCharge to help support STEM and sustainability efforts at the K-12 level. We have worked with Tesla to establish a detailed, multi-year plan to expand Project ReCharge across the state of Nevada. The goal of Tesla’s investment is to encourage students of all backgrounds to consider a career in STEM or sustainability, and to develop the next generation of engineers in Nevada.
With this initial investment, Envirolution will work to achieve the following:
- Continue supporting the existing 70+ Project ReCharge teachers within the 22 existing schools with the evolving curriculum, necessary classroom resources and ongoing assistance.
- Partner with 5 new schools within Northern Nevada (Swope MS, Lemelson STEM Academy, Churchill County, Carson Valley MS and Hug HS)
- Recruit, train and provide 25 teachers within the new and existing Project ReCharge partner schools with 45 hours of professional development, STEM curriculum and classroom resources. Includes the addition of new teachers into the program and the development and mentoring for “Master Teachers”.
- Engage up to 10,000 new students within the new and existing Project ReCharge partner schools
- Develop and pilot new STEM lessons and activities to integrate into curriculum with the assistance from partner organizations. Lessons will be focused on district energy dashboards and solar battery storage.
- Facilitate at least 50 in classroom STEM guest speaker presentations within Project ReCharge partner schools.
- Assist students in the development of at least 20 energy efficiency and sustainability proposals for consideration by district administration.
- Provide support for the teacher-accessed interactive website and portal
- Conduct Year End Student and Teacher recognition event and invite media, parents and community partners
- Begin introducing the program to additional rural and Southern Nevada districts in preparation for expansion in 2019/2020 school year.
Project ReCharge Funders
New Teacher Website
- To facilitate the growing number of teachers that are adopting Project ReCharge at their schools, Envirolution has launched a teacher website that gives all teachers past, present and future easy access to all the curriculum, materials, and updates. It gives them the ability to track progress on professional development requirements and lessons and order replacements materials online. This website facilitates the tremendous growth anticipated for Project ReCharge throughout the state and ultimately throughout the nation.