• Interactive Energy Education in OUR Community •
What is Project ReCharge?
Project ReCharge is a hands-on inquiry and project based Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) curriculum and training program that engages students, teachers and facility staff. This interactive energy education program provides valuable professional development and classroom resources to teachers, who then empower middle school and high school students to become energy detectives focused on saving their school money through energy efficiency proposals. Innovative lessons, energy data and interactive dashboards engage students and teachers as they learn about energy generation, consumption and efficiency.
Project ReCharge focuses on real-world learning and application that has a measurable impact on students, the environment and the community at large.
As of May 2019, the Project ReCharge interactive STEM energy program has:
- Partnered with 33 schools across 8 school districts in the Northern Nevada region
- Provided 96 teachers with over 6,500 hours of professional development, valuable STEM curriculum and over $240,000 in classroom resources
- Engaged 30,000 middle school and high school students with hands-on inquiry based lessons and activities focused on energy generation, consumption and efficiency
- Increased student content knowledge by 33% during the 2016/2017 academic school year, while also measurably increasing interest in STEM careers
- Driven the implementation of seven student LED lighting and sustainability projects (with two more in the works!) that are reducing Washoe County School District’s energy use by 1,464 MWh, saving $181,000 annually, while mitigating the release of 2.25 million lbs of CO2e into the atmosphere.