What is the Sustainability Expedition
Envirolution’s Sustainability Expedition is a week-long program hosted during Northern Nevada’s fall and spring academic breaks. Students are provided with the opportunity to explore local businesses during the five-day trip and are introduced to exciting STEAM careers, environmentally friendly practices, and the local sustainability movement. We conclude the week by constructing sustainability ‘Vision Boards’ and participating in a community park clean up. By the end of the program, students will have developed valuable connections to sustainable companies while participating in engaging, hands-on activities.
Sustainability Expedition 2023
March 27th – March 31st
About our Expedition health guidelines
We are excited to bring the Sustainability Expedition back and in-person, but the health and safety of the students, our staff, and the business employees are important to us. We will be following local COVID-19 policy and adhering to each business protocol. Mask will be optional unless required by a business and we ask that if you feeling sick that you stay home for that day. We will also provide hand sanitizer throughout the day.
Who: Students in middle school and *high school
- *High school students can earn a quarter credit for participating!
- *Are you a high school student that would like to attend and help run the program? Email our program and events coordinator, Sam Arroyo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where: Sustainable Businesses throughout the area
- Past locations have included Tesla, Patagonia, The Peppermill, and many more!
When: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-3:30pm
- Each morning we will give an overview of the day’s schedule and location, then we will head out on the bus to travel to our locations and will return back by 3:00 for wrap-up.
Where do I take my student?
- Students will arrive at the Envirolution Headquarters at 1755 E. Plumb Ln STE 135, Reno, NV 89502
$200 for the week– No daily rates.
- The camp is $200 which includes lunch and snacks each day, transportation to each site, an event water bottle, and a t-shirt.
- Scholarships are available! – If you are interested in applying for a scholarship, please click that in the registration and complete the 200 word or less essay. We are also proud to offer scholarships to students who will be the first in their family to go to college. Limited scholarships so apply early!
If your student is unable to attend the Expedition, please contact us. If a cancelation occurs at least 7 days before the Expedition, refunds are available.
THANK YOU to our partner My Ride to Work for donating the transportation for the Sustainability Expedition!
Some of our past locations include:
- NV Energy
- Truckee Meadows Hydroelectric Plant and Water Treatment Facility
- Lockwood Landfill
- Fulcrum BioEnergy
- Tesla Gigafactory 1
- The River School Farm
- The EcoCenter
The spring of 2019 marked Envirolution’s fourth Sustainability Tour. We are pleased to report that the event was a success and that 100% of students said that they would recommend the tour to a friend, according to post-event surveys. We’re happy to facilitate this experience!
The 2019 Sustainability Tour welcomed 23 students to participate in this five-day educational experience. They were given the opportunity to visit TESLA’s Gigafactory 1, the Dayton Valley Aquaponics, Waste Management’s Regional Landfill, and Recycling Center. Every day featured a ‘Guiding Question’ (Where does our food come from and how does that relate to sustainability?). At the end of the week, we participated in a community cleanup at Pickett Park and constructed ‘Vision Boards’ to better imagine our sustainable future. A huge THANK YOU to all of our partners – those that facilitated tours, provided transportation, donated raffle tickets, or even gave us discounts on student lunches. There’s no way we could have done it without you. And, of course, thank you to our students (and their parents) as well. You guys rock! We’ll see you next year!
The 3rd Sustainability Tour was held during Washoe County School District’s spring break in March of 2018. Students participating indicated that there was a 65% increase iThe 3rd Sustainability Tour was held during Washoe County School District’s spring break in March of 2018. Students participating indicated that there was a 65% increase in knowledge about sustainability issues. Before attending the tour only 30% of the students were interested in pursuing green careers or incorporating sustainability into their future career. After the tour, that number jumped to 85%! In addition, 100% of the students said they would recommend the Sustainability Tour to a friend!
Tour at Ormat
Using Solar Panels at DRI
Tipping at Lockwood Landfill
In front of Great Basin Community Food Coop
Tesla Gigafactory Tour
Discovery Museum Teaches Sustainability!
At RTC 4th Street Station
Patagonia Welcomes Envirolution
Learning about Patagonia
Patagonia Recycles Almost Everything!
In front of the Truckee River
Practicing Sustainable Practices at River School Farms
In an RTC electric bus
Group Photo at Park Cleanup
Oxbow Nature Park Tour
Oxbow, Along the Truckee River
Students Receive Certificates of Completion
- “Students in Carson City area invited to register for sustainability tour” covered in the Nevada Appeal: (February 20, 2018)
- Channel 2 News coverage by Arianna Bennett: “Spring Break Camps That Still Have Openings” (March 26, 2018)
- Karsen Buschjost interviews students at Lockwood Landfill on My News 4 (Fox 11) on March 27, 2018
- Karsen Buschjost interviews Vanessa Robertson for My News 4 (Fox 11) coverage March 27, 2018
- KOLO News Now 8, “Teaching Students Sustainability, Regional Transportation Commission” (March 29, 2018)
- Kaleb Roedel article “Tour at DRI Inspires Students to Pursue Sustainability Careers” in the Northern Nevada Business Weekly published on April 13, 2018
- Kaleb Roedel, editor for Northern Nevada Business Weekly, published video on April 16 of students at DRI during Sustainability Tour