E-Power Bike Workshop 2023
What is the E-Power Bike Workshop?
A five-day Spring Break workshop in which two E-Power Teams (eight to twelve 7th / 8th grade girls, non binary and gender queer students become Energy Bike Experts by building an Energy Bike from scratch. Participants will work alongside staff and local career professionals while they learn how to teach engaging energy lessons to bring back to their school and community. The E-Bike then becomes property of the schools to utilize for lessons and activities throughout the school year.
When: Carson City School District Fall Break:
Monday April 3rd, 2023 to Friday, April 7th, 2023
9 am – 4:00 pm
E-Power Celebration: Friday April 7th, 2023 2:00-4:00pm
Where will the workshop take place?
Eagle Valley Middle School
4151 E 5th St, Carson City, NV 89701
Who can participate?:
- Middle school students in Carson City / Reno
- 4-6 girls, nonbinary or genderqueer students from each school
- Participants must be in 7th or 8th grade
- At least 50% of participants need to be from an underrepresented STEM population (see below for more info)
What do participants receive?
- Daily lunch and snacks
- All materials to build a energy bike from scratch
- Engineer Like a Girl Shirt and raffle giveaways
- Reusable water bottle and gift bag
- Transportation to workshop location is available if needed
What will participants do each day?
Day one through three of the workshop will consist of the build of the E-Bike and expand upon the knowledge of the following topics: Simple Circuits, E-Bike Components, and Wiring. Day four will be an offsite workshop where participants will have the opportunity to engage with real world engineers at Tesla Motors and participate in a panel discussion. Day five will incorporate troubleshooting and the final components of the E-Bike installation. The afternoon of day five will be a presentation of the E-Bike lead by participants and a Celebration for family and sponsors. Throughout the week the participants will engage in confidence, wellness, team building, and professional development activities.
What is the goal of the E-Power Workshop?
Participants will walk away from the 5-day E-Power Workshop with the following:
- Having received a certificate of expertise in the E-Power Bike build process.
- Confidence in leading a presentation related to STEM topics.
- Engagement and panel discussions with women in STEM careers sparking participants interest in pursuing STEM careers.
- Participants will have gained knowledge in the areas of E-power, engineering, identifying forms of energy, energy transformation, bulb detection, problem solving, confidence, wellness activities, and professional development.
For more information contact: Amari Cummings- Americorps VISTA
Huge thank you to our E-Power Workshop Sponsors: